Fire Extinguisher Inspection Near Lake Grove
Signs You Need Fire Extinguisher Service and Repairs from a Suffolk County Fire Protection Company
Whether you live in Suffolk County or you own a business here, making sure that you are properly protected from the dangers of fire is crucial. Each year, countless residential and commercial properties throughout the area are engulfed in fires that cause extensive structural damages and worse, severe injuries and even deaths. A properly installed and maintained fire suppression system is your first line of defense against fire. M&M Fire Extinguishers Sales & Services, Inc. is a leading fire protection company in Suffolk County. Family owned and operated for more than 35 years, you can count on our highly trained and certified technicians to ensure that you are prepared in the event of a fire.
Cooking accidents, faulty wiring, improperly extinguished smoking materials; these are just some of the leading causes of structure fires in Lake Grove, NY. Despite your best efforts to prevent it, a fire could break out at any time. That’s why it’s so important to have properly functioning fire extinguishers in your Suffolk County home or business. These devices are your first line of defense against fire, as they can successfully extinguish a small blaze and prevent serious property damage and severe injuries.
However, despite their efficiency, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) estimates that some 30% of fire extinguishers in use don’t function properly. If you’re ever confronted with ablaze, the last thing you want is to find that your extinguisher isn’t working. To keep this vital fire protection equipment in tip-top condition, performing a visual fire extinguisher inspection on a monthly basis is crucial.
You can perform visual inspections yourself, but what should you be checking? Below, we provide an overview of what you should look for during a monthly fire extinguisher inspection and highlight the signs that indicate you need to contact a professional for fire extinguisher service and repairs.
What to Look for During a Visual Fire Extinguisher Inspection
As per NFPA 10, the standard for portable fire extinguishers, property owners should visually assess the condition of these devices on a monthly basis. A visual inspection allows you to make sure that the equipment is positioned in a clearly visible and easy to access location, spot any signs of damage, and ensure that the device is full and charged.
In addition to noting the location of the equipment, you should check the following during a monthly visual fire extinguisher inspection:
- Any signs of damage, such as dents, cracks, or corrosion.
- The pull-pin and the seal around it; the pin should be in place and the seal should be intact.
- The pressure gauge; the indicator should be within the green “safe” zone.
- The fire extinguisher tags to confirm the date of the last monthly inspection and annual inspection. If you are due for an annual inspection, make sure to schedule a fire extinguisher inspection near me with a reputable fire protection company.
- The instructions; make sure that they are legible and easy to understand.
Once you have completed the visual inspection, sign or initial and date the tag. Doing so will confirm the last time the device was visually inspected, which is important for you and anyone else who may be responsible for checking the extinguisher.
Signs You Need to Call a Professional for Fire Extinguisher Service
If your fire extinguisher appears to be in good working order after a visual inspection, continue to inspect it each month, checking the above-mentioned areas during each inspection. If the date for an annual maintenance inspection is drawing near, be sure to schedule an appointment with a reputable Suffolk County fire protection company, as annual maintenance inspections must be performed by a certified technician on an annual basis. However, even if you aren’t due for an annual inspection, you may need to call in a professional to check the device.
If you notice any of the following, you’ll need to schedule a fire extinguisher service with a licensed, trained, and certified professional.
- Damages. If you notice any damage – dents, cracks, leaks, corrosion, rust, a loose or missing hose, etc. – you should have your fire extinguisher checked by a professional.
- Blockages. A fire extinguisher nozzle and/or hose can become backed up with dirt, debris, insects, and other types of obstructions. If the nozzle or hose is blocked, a professional can attempt to clear the blockage to ensure that the fire suppressing material can exit the device in the event that it is needed.
- A low-pressure gauge. The indicator on the pressure gauge should be in the green “safe” zone. If it’s below the green zone, it could be a sign that there’s a leak or that the fire extinguisher has been used and needs to be recharged. If the pressure gauge is too low, there may not be enough material inside the device to extinguish a fire.
- A high-pressure reading. If the indicator on the pressure gauge is above the green zone, the fire extinguisher is overcharged. While an overcharged fire extinguisher may not impact the discharge process, it could potentially damage the gaskets around the hose, which could eventually cause a leak and lead to low pressure.
- Evidence of tampering. If the pull-pin is not in place or if the tamper seal that surrounds it appears damaged, those are surefire signs that the equipment has been tampered. Tampering can damage any of the components within the device, lower the pressure of the fire extinguisher, and lower the amount of material within the unit, rendering it unfit to extinguish a fire.
- Illegible instructions. The instructions should be legible; if they aren’t – they’re worn or scratched off, for example – if someone ever needs to use it, they may not know how to operate the device.
M&M Fire Extinguishers Sales & Services, Inc.: Suffolk County’s Most Trusted Fire Equipment Professionals
If you notice any of the above-mentioned issues and you’re looking for a fire extinguisher service near me, contact M&M Fire Extinguishers Sales & Services, Inc. Our certified and highly experienced technicians will perform a thorough assessment of the device and make any necessary repairs. If repair isn’t possible, we can provide you with the proper replacement for your Lake Grove, NY property.
When it comes to fire safety, you want to be sure that you’re properly prepared. With M&M Fire Extinguishers Sales & Services, Inc., you can have confidence knowing that if you’re ever facing a fire emergency, you’ll be well protected. To schedule an appointment for any of the fire protection services we provide, please call 631-464-5609 today.
- Learn more about Lake Grove, NY 11755
- Open a Lake Grove, NY map
- Find the Lake Grove, NY United States Post Office
- Locate nearby Lake Grove, NY pharmacies
- View the current Lake Grove, NY weather report
- Browse a list of Lake Grove, NY public and private schools
- Lake Grove, NY is located in Suffolk county in New York State